Oven Baked Pork Chops with Carrots & Cheese Crust is a perfect family meal that is easy to prepare, pop in the oven & forget! It gets thumbs up every time!
I love pork! It is such a versatile meat that can be nice and lean and makes a nice change from the chicken. We have reduced our meat intake quite drastically in the last year or so but occasionally indulge in our meaty family favourites, this being one of them!
I’ve inherited this oven baked pork chops recipe from my mum and it’s become part of my own family cooking repertoire. Some of our other pork favourites are these Mini Pork Meatloaves with Courgette melt in the mouth Braised Pork Chops with Leeks & Carrots & Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Pork together with perfect for using up those leftovers Pulled Pork Burritos. If you like little pork sausages wrapped in bacon (who doesn’t) then check out my Party Sausages with Honey & Mustard Glaze – perfect picnic and party food .
Oven Baked Pork Chops – easy family dinner!
One of the great things about this dish is that once assembled, it pretty much takes care of itself. I like to make it for Sunday lunch when I don’t fancy spending a lot of time in the kitchen. It is also great when it’s too hot to cook anything on the top of the stove but you fancy “proper” cooked dinner. We are the family who eat roast dinners and use our oven (not just for cakes) in the Summer almost as often as in Winter so one pan bakes like this one (especially when they are this easy) are always welcomed!
This bake reheats really well too, so if there are just two of you you can still make full recipe and enjoy leftovers the next day or freeze for later!
Do I need to tenderise the pork chops before baking?
I would highly recommend it as this makes all the difference when it comes to your final product and meat will be gorgeously tender and succulent plus it will cook quicker too! I suggest covering your meat with cling film when tenderising to avoid bits of meat splattering everywhere. If you don’t own meat tenderiser* you can use simple rolling pin* instead to get the same result.
Why are you using mayonnaise in oven baked dish?
You might find it a bit odd using mayonnaise in baked dish but I promise you, it’s been tried and tested and will not disappoint. Mayo together with natural meat juices will create the most wonderful sauce, you won’t be able to get enough of. Trust me!
What to serve Oven Baked Pork Chops with Carrots & Cheese Crust with?
- Simple buttered jacket potato, plain rice or mash – any of these will go lovely with the yummy juices!
- Steamed green veg of your choice
- Crusty bread (try my Easy Yogurt Bread Rolls) and lightly dressed green salad
Depending on time of year you might want to pair it with one of the side dishes below:
- Homemade Fresh Tomato Salsa (Pico De Gallo)
- Easy Grated Carrot Salad
- Creamy Summer Coleslaw
- Oven Roasted Asparagus
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Parmesan & Garlic
How to make Oven Baked Pork Chops with Carrots & Cheese Crust – Step-By-Step
Oven Baked Pork Chops with Carrots & Cheese Crust
- 4 pork loin chops or boneless pork chops any visible fat trimmed
- 4 carrots peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp (heaped) sweet paprika powder
- 1 tsp (heaped) mixed herbs
- 4 tbsp (heaped) mayonnaise
- 100 g grated cheese mature cheddar works well here
- Spring onions to garnish
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil for the baking dish
- Prepare ovenproof baking dish (roughly 33x23cm/ 13x9inch) by lightly oiling it.
- Spread sliced carrots evenly at the bottom of the dish.
- Follow by layer of thinly sliced onions.
- Sprinkle the veg with paprika and mixed herbs.
- Trim the fat of pork loin chops if you wish and give every slice a good bash with rolling pin or meat tenderiser to make it nice and thin. Season each slice with salt and pepper.
- Place seasoned steaks over the vegetables.
- Spread mayonnaise over the meat in thick and even layer.
- Sprinkle grated cheese.
- Cover with aluminium foil (or the lid if your baking dish comes with one) and bake at 180°C/350F/Gas Mark 4 for about 1 hour after which take the foil/lid off and bake for another 15 min for the cheese to create nice, brown crust.
- Sprinkle with spring onions and serve with your choice of sides.
- Nutritional information is approximate, per serving and should be treated as a guideline only.
- Freezer friendly. Freeze baked and cooled dish in freezer safe container. Defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat in the oven (using oven safe dish) or microwave until piping hot.
Update Notes: This post was originally published on 6 June 2017 and republished in June 2019 with some helpful info, new photos, recipe card, step by step photo instructions.
Some more family dinner recipes you might enjoy
MAKE SURE YOU STAY UP TO DATE WITH ALL THE LATEST RECIPES FROM JO’S KITCHEN LARDER
Have you tried my Oven Baked Pork Chops with Carrots & Cheese Crust? Leave a comment at the bottom of this post, I love reading them!
PIN OVEN BAKED PORK CHOPS WITH CARROTS & CHEESE CRUST FOR LATER!