Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Parmesan & Garlic are a game changer. If you are a sprouts fan already you will love this roasted, garlicky, cheesy version for sure. Perfect Christmas or Thanksgiving veggie side dish.
Brussels Sprouts! You either love them or hate them, very much like good old Marmite! I'm definitely in "love them" camp but more so since I've started roasting these little fellows. Difference in flavour is really big plus flavour enhancement possibilities endless. And who likes watery, bland and flavourless sprouts anyway? Well, not me and you won't find them here. Instead I present you my Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Parmesan & Garlic!
This recipe is super simple and the end result is really delicious. These sprouts are perfect as a side dish and go lovely with any type of roast meat or veggie roast too! Believe you me, once you've tried roasted sprouts it will be difficult to go back to boiled or even steamed version. The breadcrumbs provide a bit of unexpected crunch which I love!
When it comes to quantities, it is usually myself and hubby devouring the content of this baking dish (kids aren't keen on sprouts). However, if you are less greedy it will most likely serve 4 (please don't judge).
Can I adapt these roasted brussels sprouts in any way?
The parmesan, breadcrumbs and garlic might not be particularly festive but I like them this way and would happily include them as a side dish on my Christmas table. By all means sprinkle some crisped up and finely chopped pancetta or even chopped chestnuts for extra festive flare, I won't mind and won't tell. However, I can assure you these are perfect just like that so perhaps you can save the bacon for pigs in the blankets. 😉
Also feel free to adjust the quantities of both garlic and parmesan cheese according to your liking. I find that one plump garlic clove does the trick here but by all meant add more, same with cheese!
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Parmesan & Garlic - Step-By-Step Instructions
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Parmesan & Garlic
- 500 g brussels sprouts
- 1 garlic clove peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1-2 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- 3-4 tablespoon parmesan cheese or any other hard cheese to grate over the sprouts
- 2-3 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Prepare brussels sprouts by cutting off the woody ends (especially when they are long and sticking out a bit). If there are any woody or bruised outer leaves, feel free to discard them otherwise leave them.
- Cut larger sprouts in half lengthwise leaving smaller ones whole and put them in a baking dish.
- Sprinkle them with salt, freshly ground pepper and breadcrumbs, add thinly sliced garlic clove.
- Pour over a good glug of olive oil and give everything a little mix and toss with your hands. Roast in a preheated oven for approx 20-30 min (until tender). Timings will depend on the size of your sprouts. Test them for doneness at 20 min by simply inserting a sharp knife in one of the bigger sprouts. If it goes in easily, they are ready!
- Take the brussels sprouts out of the oven and give them a little mix. Grate as much parmesan as you like and sprinkle it over the sprouts. Return them into the oven for the cheese to melt and create lovely, almost lacy topping.
- Perfect as a side dish with any meat or veggie roasts!
- Nutritional information is approximate, per serving and meant as a guideline only.
- Feel free to adjust the amount of parmesan cheese as you see fit, same with garlic!
***This post has been first published in December 2017 and updated in November 2018***
Some more recipes you might enjoy:
Sage and Onion Stuffing (Vegan)
Brussels Sprouts, Bacon & Chestnuts Macaroni Cheese
Easy Roasted Butternut Squash Veggie Wellington
Have you tried my Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Parmesan & Garlic? Leave a comment at the bottom of this post, I love reading them!
You can also come and say hello over on my Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram or Pinterest
Make sure you stay up to date with all the latest recipes from Jo’s Kitchen Larder
Pin Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Parmesan & Garlic for later!
Cook Blog Share with Easy Peasy Foodie, Cook Once Eat Twice
Heidi Roberts says
I am not a fan of sprouts but maybe this recipe might make me like them!
This slightly different take on them might make you change your mind. 😉
Angela Roberts says
These look so delicious. I especially like your use of the color wheel! Very pleasing blues.
Thank you Angela! 🙂
they look so delicious, we love Brussels sprouts and I make them quite often. I’ll definitely be trying these with parmezan!!
Thank you Anna! 🙂 I hope you like this version.
Anna | Once Upon A Food Blog says
Ooh, these look gorgeous! I love sprouts and so does my youngest daughter so cook them quite often but I've never roasted them. I'll definitely be trying this!
Thank you! 🙂 I'm well impressed with your daughter! Please send her over to have a chat with my two boys, she might be able to convince them that sprouts are really not bad at all. lol
Roasting Brussels is so the way forwards - they taste so much better! Love the sound of your parmesan and garlic version
Thanks Mandy! Definitely the way forward. I do think that roasting brings the best out of any veg.
Sisley White says
I\ve never thought about adding Parmesan to them before. I think I'm in love.
Ha ha, thank you! 🙂 Roasted sprouts and parmesan go so well together! For me it was a love from first taste for sure! 🙂
Eb Gargano | Easy Peasy Foodie says
I am definitely in the LOVE camp when it comes to sprouts...and I so agree with you that they are much nice roasted (or pan-fried)...it brings out a lovely nutty flavour. I have so many different sprout recipes on my website...but I don;t think I've ever done them with parmesan...what an oversight! **rushes to the kitchen to try that out** Thanks for linking them up to #CookBlogShare. Eb x
Thank you Eb! 🙂 I blame those boiled to death sprouts for so many not being keen on these delicious little veggies! If only they wanted to try the roasted version, I think at least 50% of them would have been sold! 🙂 x
Michelle Frank | Flipped-Out Food says
I am definitely in the "love 'em" camp, but the hubster and kids are devout haters. I keep trying new recipes to win them over, though, and this looks like the winning ticket! #CookBlogShare
Thanks Michelle! 🙂 It's myself and hubby who adore sprouts and kids usually run a mile when they see them and only agree to come to the table once convinced that they will not be made to eat them lol. Me and hubby devour the lot for the team! 🙂 Hope you like this recipe and fingers crossed for your peeps! 🙂