Coleslaw must be one of the most popular Summer salads and you really cannot beat the homemade one. My Creamy Summer Coleslaw has couple of extra ingredients added for some crunch and a bit of colour, all covered in most delicious creamy dressing! Perfect picnic, potluck and bbq accompaniment!
Don’t you just love the freshness and crunch of good coleslaw. There are many versions of it out there. Some super creamy, some without any mayo at all, some loaded with added cheese…
I must admit I used to buy coleslaw for years mainly due to convenience (although it only takes 15 min or even less to make your own)! However, as of January this year myself and hubby decided to drastically reduce the use of plastic in our house which meant I had to put stop to shop bought coleslaw for good. I can tell you that it was one of the easiest swaps I’ve made! 🙂
This Creamy Summer Coleslaw is one of my new favourites including beautiful crunchy radishes and thinly sliced new season mini cucumber (of course you can use regular salad cucumber here). It’s so fresh, vibrant and delicious! I find creamy dressing always the winner with any variant of the coleslaw I make but make sure you use really good quality, full fat mayonnaise to make it taste its best. As they say, everything in moderation is fine and my creamy dressing really makes this simple salad!
One of our favourite and super simple mid-week family meals is our “Sausage Dog Dinner” named lovingly by our two huge hot dogs lovers lol (rest assured no actual sausage dogs have ever been harmed or eaten in our house) lol. 😉 All you need is a pack of good quality sausages of your choice, brioche hot dog buns, Creamy Summer Coleslaw (as per this very recipe) and of course other sides and condiments of your liking. Et voila! Quick, easy and delicious!
What can I serve this Creamy Summer Coleslaw with?
It is such a versatile, all-year round salad. Take a look at some delicious dishes we love to serve it with:
It will also go beautifully as a part of lovely picnic or potluck spread including:
How to Make Creamy Summer Coleslaw
- 1 quarter small white cabbage (approx 200g/7oz) thinly shredded
- 2 carrots (approx 150g/5oz) coarsely grated
- 1 bunch of radishes thinly sliced
- 1 mini cucumber (approx 100g/3.5 oz) thinly sliced
- half a small bunch of chives thinly sliced or snipped with scissors
- 4 Tbsp good quality mayo
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- Prepare all vegetables as per instructions above. Put them all in a large bowl (except for chives) and give it all a good mix with your hands.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients together. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour prepared dressing over the vegetables and mix well. Sprinkle with majority or all of chopped chives (leaving a sprinkle for garnish if you want) and give it one more quick mix. If you have time let the coleslaw stand for a bit to allow for the flavours to mingle but it's not necessary. Enjoy!
- Nutritional information is approximate and should be treated as a guideline only.
- Feel free to use regular salad cucumber in this coleslaw.
Make sure you stay up to date with all the latest recipes from Jo’s Kitchen Larder
Have you tried my Creamy Summer Coleslaw? Leave a comment at the bottom of this post, I love reading them!
Pin For Later!
I’m linking my How to Make Creamy Summer Coleslaw post with the following pages:
Cook Once Eat Twice hosted by Corina at Searching for Spice
Brilliant Blog Posts hosted by Vicki at Honest Mum Blog