This Spinach & Mushroom Soup recipe is delicious, healthy & naturally vegan too. Warming & wonderfully comforting it's perfect for lunch or as a light supper. Pair it with a thick slice of homemade bread and you're in heaven!
Whether you are all year round or seasonal soup connoisseur this simple Spinach and Mushroom Soup recipe is so worth your attention. It's such a warming, wholesome, warm your cockles (and soul) type of soup.
With few bits and bobs leftover in my weekly veg box and lacking inspiration (yes it does happen) I finally decided that soup was the answer and I'm so glad I did because that's how this Spinach & Mushroom Soup came to be!
Spinach & Mushroom Soup - strong, earthy flavours!
If you are a big fan of mushrooms and are wondering whether you'll be able to taste them at all here (this soup is so green!), there is no need to worry. I can assure you that yes, you will be able to taste them alright!
You know they are there, you can taste them, smell them even. If you want to keep a bit of their texture, simply don't go pureeing this soup all the way.
My soup isn't as green as yours!
It might be because you cooked spinach for too long. All that it needs is to wilt ever so slightly in residual heat from the soup. The longer you cook it the less green your soup!
It might be also down to the ratio of spinach to mushrooms and whether you included the exact amounts as per recipe or used what you had to hand.
I wouldn't worry about the colour too much as the soup is just too delicious to care either way!
Spinach and Mushroom Soup - Serving Suggestions
Try it with my Irish Soda Bread which you can have ready from start to finish in only 40 minutes! Now, that's what I call lunch!
If you're after something crunchy and even quicker to make, homemade croutons will make perfect topping.
If time isn't an issue my Easy Wholemeal Bread (No Knead) or Easy Bread Rolls would make wonderful accompaniments too!
I would advise you not to wash your mushrooms! Well, not to soak them in water anyway. I know it might sound strange and counter intuitive but all they need is a gentle wipe with slightly damp kitchen towel to get rid of any dirt or bits of soil.
How to make Spinach and Mushroom Soup - Step-By-Step
Prepare vegetables as per instructions below.
Heat up the oil in a large pot and add onion, garlic, mushrooms and potato. Sautee for approx. 10 min until vegetables start to soften slightly.
Add dried thyme, some salt and pepper, veggie stock and bring it to boil.
Lower the heat and simmer for approx. 20 minutes or until veggies are soft.
When the soup is almost ready add washed spinach and let it wilt. It won't take long at all, couple of minutes is all that's needed.
Turn off the heat and puree the soup until smooth or until you reach desired consistency using a blender. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Serve with a swirl of plant based cream and drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
How to achieve super creamy soup?
Since I've become an ambassador for Froothie at the end of last year, I've been pureeing all my soups in my Froothie Evolve blender. You can of course use any blender that you've got including stick blender but I must admit I have never managed to get my soups as smooth as when pureed in Froothie Evolve.
As if that wasn't enough, Froothie Evolve can actually cook your soup for you from start to finish in 30 minutes so you don't need to dirty any pans or stand over a hob either. I've included specific recipe instructions for Froothie in recipe card below.
Froothie Evolve High Speed Blender is a fantastic, new generation smart blender I’ve been recently putting through its paces to bring you a thorough review you can check out here!
Froothie Evolve High Speed Blender - Reader's Offer
As an ambassador for Froothie I’m super excited to be able to pass on to you this great offer when purchasing Froothie Evolve High Speed Blender.
Make sure you follow one of my Evolve blender links to check out the latest offer on this fantastic machine on Froothie website. To add to this, if you buy this fantastic blender following one of my affiliate links, you will get extra 2 years warranty worth £45 (taking it up from very generous 5 to extremely generous 7 years)!
You also get 30 day return period in case you are not happy with your blender so you can always change your mind (although I doubt you will).
Have you tried my Spinach and Mushroom Soup?
Please consider giving it ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in recipe card below and share your views or tips in the comments.
More delicious soup recipes you might enjoy!
Roasted Celeriac & Sweet Potato Soup
Wild Garlic Soup
Easy Leek & Potato Soup with Celeriac
Butternut Squash & Chestnut Soup
Roasted Tomato & Fennel Soup
Curried Swede Soup
Spiced Pumpkin Soup
Jerusalem Artichoke & Carrot Soup
Asparagus and Spinach Soup
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Never miss another recipe by subscribing to our newsletter today.
Spinach and Mushroom Soup
- 200 g button or chestnut mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 200 g fresh spinach washed
- 200 g potatoes (approx 1 medium) peeled and roughly diced
- 2 tablespoon rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves sliced
- 600 ml vegetable stock (from stock cube is fine)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- plant based cream and extra virgin olive oil to drizzle over
- Prepare vegetables as per ingredients notes above.
On the hob method
- Heat up the oil in a large pot and add onion, garlic, mushrooms and potato. Sautee for approx. 10 min until vegetables start to soften slightly.
- Add dried thyme, some salt and pepper, stock and bring it to boil. Lower the heat and simmer for approx. 20 minutes or until veggies are soft.
- When the soup is almost ready add washed spinach and let it wilt. It won't take long at all, couple of minutes is all you need here.
- Turn off the heat and puree the soup until smooth or to desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning if required.
- Serve with a swirl of plant based cream and drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Enjoy!
For Froothie Evolve users
- Put all the ingredients with the exception of spinach into Froothie Evolve cooking jug and put the lid on. Taste and adjust seasoning if requred.
- Turn the machine on and choose Smooth Soup option from the LED display menu on your blender. Alternatively, instruct froothie via voice activation saying "Hey Froothie, Make my Soup".
- Froothie Evolve will start pre-programmed soup making function that will take 30 minutes.
- Once Froothie signals the end of the programme, open the jug and add spinach (you might have to do it in batches) pushing it gently into the liquid with special tamper tool.
- Close the jug again and hold the Pulse button for few seconds until the spinach has been pureed and mixed in with the rest of the soup. Repeat until you've used up all the spinach.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if required.
- Serve with a swirl of plant based cream and drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Enjoy!
- Nutritional information is approximate, per serving (based on 4 servings) without cream and oil drizzle and should be treated as a guideline only.
- Store in the fridge for 3-4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Cook Blog Share with Easy Peasy Foodie and Recipes Made Easy
Disclosure: I am an ambassador for Froothie but also use Froothie Evolve daily in my kitchen and can highly recommend it. I am not expected to provide positive review of their products and all the opinions expressed are my own.
I followed your mushroom and spinach soup recipe. It was so quick and easy to prep and cook and was absolutely delicious and nutritious.
Hi Jane, That's so lovely to hear, I'm really pleased you enjoyed it! Thank you for your lovely comment. 🙂
Evelyn Johnston says
I hadnt tried that combination before and loved it....had all ingredients in freezer /fridge which was an extra bonus.
I'm pleased you liked it Evelyn. 🙂
Delicious I like the combination spinach with mushrooms
I'm so pleased you liked it! 🙂
Maddy Day says
Made it, loved it. Thanks for the great recipe!
Thanks so much Maddy! I'm glad you enjoyed it! 🙂
Adore mushroom soup and love the idea of adding spinach. I bet it works really well and just wow, what a fabulous colour.
Thank you Choclette! It is such an earthy and delicious soup for sure and autumn is definitely my favourite time to enjoy it. 🙂
Michelle Frank | Flipped-Out Food says
I just don't understand when people tell me they don't like soup. My stepson is one of those unique individuals, and it makes my head explode. I LOVE the mushrooms in this: I'm alone in that regard as well in my family. So I'm looking forward to making this soup FOR ME. I also have some porcini oil that I think would be gorgeous to garnish the soup in place of the olive oil. I'm drooling just thinking about it!
I know what you mean! How can you not like soup? You will definitely enjoy the mushrooms here as both texture and flavour are quite strong and make this soup so delicious! Porcini oil sounds divine to drizzle over! Yum!
I love spinach soup but not tried it with mushrooms before sounds like a good combo.
Thanks Jacqui! That's the first time I've tried it and it didn't disappoint. These two go well together! 🙂
Corina Blum says
I am like you and soup is one of my favourite things for lunch and one of the things I tend to make when I just look at the veggies in the fridge and don't have any special inspiration. You can always make a tasty soup whatever you've got! This sounds delicious and thank so much for sharing it with #CookOnceEatTwice x
Thanks Corina! Absolutely! If you've got some unused veggies lurking around and at least some stock cubes (not even fresh stock), there is always a nutritious meal to be made out of them. 🙂 x
Eb Gargano | Easy Peasy Foodie says
Love this recipe! You are right, soup is such a great thing to make at pretty much any time of year, and a great way to use up odds and ends in a veg box. And I am so in agreement about the mushroom thing - washed mushrooms are bleaugh! Thanks for linking up to #CookBlogShare. Eb x
Thanks Eb! 🙂 I'm so pleased you like it! Yes, washed mushrooms are just one of those things... lol May as well forgo them completely! x
What a great soup - have pinned to try!
Thanks Mandy! 🙂 I hope you like it!
Monika Dabrowski says
Great soup, delicious ingredients and very uncomplicated!
Thank you Monika! That's what soup should be all about. 🙂