With this easy guide on how to roast pumpkin seeds you will never throw them away again. Covered in smoked paprika and touch of cayenne pepper these are extremely moreish & perfect for healthy snacking. You won’t be able to stop crunching.
These delicious Smoked Paprika Roasted Pumpkin Seeds came about as a by-product when preparing my Easy Homemade Pumpkin Puree. I hate wasting things and throwing these perfect little snacky seeds out would be a crime especially that they are soo easy to roast and turn into perfect nibble.
How to prepare pumpkin seeds for roasting?
Whether you are keen pumpkin eater or not you will most likely gut and carve at least one of these gorgeous vegetables in preparation for Halloween! Don’t get put off by the looks of the pumpkin seeds covered in stringy innards as they are really easy to clean (even though they don’t look it).
I found that the best way to get them “innards free” is to pop them in a bowl and cover with cold water. Give them a bit of a quick mix and wash with your hands and leave alone for couple of minutes. You will see that pumpkin seeds will float to the surface and bits of innards will sink to the bottom. All you then need to do is to fish out the seeds with the slotted spoon and pop them onto a clean tea towel. They will stick but do not get disheartened and once you’ve pat them dry simply scrape them off with your fingers onto the baking tray and you are ready to go!
Roasted pumpkin seeds seasoning
My choice of seasoning here was my all time favourite spice – smoked paprika* (any excuse to use it really). Make sure you pay attention to which smoked paprika you buy as there is sweet & hot variety. I use sweet one in all my cooking as I add it to lots of family dishes and prefer to control the spice in other ways. All in all sweet variety is way more versatile.
Coming back to the pumpkin seeds. I thought that adding a little bit of cayenne pepper* here would be nice for that extra kick. Feel free to leave it out if you want.
The amount of the spices specified in the recipe below is what I’ve used for roasting. I have then added additional sprinkle of both smoked paprika and cayenne to suit our taste so feel free to do the same. I have also chosen to season the seeds with sea salt after roasting and found that it worked really well.
Roasted pumpkin seeds flavour variations
This recipe is a perfect canvas for playing with your favourite flavours. Perhaps instead of smoked paprika and cayenne you prefer more herby flavours. Rosemary and sea salt would work absolutely lovely here and so would sprinkle of curry powder or ground cumin if that’s what you fancy.
If you are more of a sweet than savoury person you could try coating your seeds in melted butter mixed with cinnamon and sugar.
You can also choose to go for seeds that have only been roasted in some olive oil and without any spices, nice and plain but oh so nutritious!
For an alternative snacky delight, give my Kale Crisps a go!
Using and storing roasted pumpkin seeds
If you thought you can only use roasted pumpkin seeds for snacking, think again! They make fantastic topping for salads, soups, stews, even porridge if you go for plain or cinnamon roasted version. Whenever you need to add some texture to your dish, think roasted pumpkin seeds!
To preserve their freshness keep them stored in the airtight container for up to 1 week.
How to roast pumpkin seeds
How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds
- 120 g leftover pumpkin seeds washed and lightly dried - the amount might vary depending on the size of your pumpkin.
- 1 Tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika (sweet variety)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste
- sea salt to taste
- Wash pumpkin seeds in a bowl of cold water, the bits of pumpkin innards will separate from the seeds and sink to the bottom of the bowl.
- Take pumpkin seeds out with the slotted spoon and dry on the tea towel. Pumpkin seeds will stick a bit but simply pat them dry and scrape them off onto prepared non-stick baking tray.
- Pour olive oil over the seeds and sprinkle both spices. Mix well with your hands until all the seeds are covered.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 for approx 30 minutes. Every 10 minutes take the baking tray out and move seeds around with spatula to ensure they roast evenly.
- Once roasted season with sea salt and adjust amount of smoked paprika and cayenne pepper to your liking.
- Nutritional information is approximate, per 30g/1oz serving and should be treated as a rough guideline only.
- Store in the airtight container for up to 1 week.
Update Notes: This post was originally published on 29 October 2017 and updated in September 2019 with some helpful info and updated recipe card.
Some more pumpkin delights you might enjoy
MAKE SURE YOU STAY UP TO DATE WITH ALL THE LATEST RECIPES FROM JO’S KITCHEN LARDER
Have you found my guide on How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds helpful? Leave a comment at the bottom of this post, I love reading them!
Pin How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds for later!
*This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on a link and go on to buy the product I recommend, I will get a small commission, but you will not be charged a penny more. I only recommend products I own or really like and which caught my attention. Thanks in advance for supporting Jo’s Kitchen Larder!