You didn’t think I was done with pumpkin recipes, did you? 🙂 Well, I am not as of yet! There is still some pumpkin love to be shared and this Nutty Pumpkin & Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips is simply too good to keep to myself.
It’s one of my “use it all up” or “accident” bakes. That might not fill you with much confidence as to the quality of the bake but bare with me. It’s only called that as I’ve used bits and bobs I had in my cupboards that needed using up. Bit of walnuts and chocolate chips in particular but also really overripe banana (even though it was supposed be purely pumpkin bread at the start). Oh well, never mind! 😉 The loaf turned out delicious and that bit more exciting too.
If you had a look at my Pumpkin & Cinnamon Muffins with Plum Jam or Easy Healthier Pumpkin Pancakes recipes you might remember my recent discovery – White Rye Flour. I have used it half and half with plain flour last time I baked said muffins and was really pleased with the result. This time I decided to go all the way and use 100% white rye flour. I must say, again, really pleasantly surprised. The bake might not have the lightness of the muffins but the crumb is still far from dense and it gives this Nutty Pumpkin & Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips some of its nuttiness plus whole lot of goodness. Additional nuttiness also comes from walnuts which you can of course leave out (if you are nut free) or substitute with nuts of your choice.
I love this bread simply with cup of lemon tea and any time of day will do. Kids have been devouring it after school and nursery and hubby took couple of slices as breakfast on the go. Everybody’s happy! 🙂
Nutty Pumpkin & Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips
- 225 g white rye flour plain flour or mixture of both
- 200 g pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- grating of fresh nutmeg
- 100 g light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 100 ml sunflower or vegetable oil
- 50 g chopped walnuts
- 50 g milk chocolate chips
- 1 small and very ripe banana 80-100g
- Make sure all the ingredients are at room temperature.
- Sieve the flour or flours together with baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg and set aside.
- In a large jug or bowl mix together sugar and eggs followed by oil, pumpkin puree and mashed banana.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ones and mix gently until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Add chopped walnuts and chocolate chips and fold them in gently.
- Pour the mixture into tin loaf (roughly 23 x 11cm) lightly greased and sprinkled with flour.
- Bake until toothpick or skewer inserted into centre comes out clean approx 55min.
- Let it rest in a tin for a few minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Slice and enjoy!
If you are after bakes which are that bit healthier, try my Wholesome Banana Bread or Healthier Dates & Banana Flapjacks. Alternatively, if you enjoy baking with pumpkin then this Pumpkin & Cinnamon Pull Apart Bread is definitely worth few extra calories! 🙂
You might also want to check out my guide post on how to make Easy Homemade Pumpkin Puree which you can then use in your delicious pumpkin bakes!
Pin For Later!
I’m linking my Nutty Pumpkin & Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips with the following pages:
Brilliant Blog Posts hosted by Vicki at Honest Mum Blog
Recipe of the Week hosted by Emily at A Mummy Too
Cook Once Eat Twice hosted by Corina at Searching for Spice