These Strawberry Chocolate Brownies are fudgy & chocolatey with sweet & juicy strawberry surprise. Marriage made in heaven and perfect treat this Summer season!
If there is only one treat you bake this season using fresh strawberries, this should be the one. Especially, if you are chocolate brownie fan. These Strawberry Chocolate Brownies are super dense, chocolatey and really moreish with strawberries providing that slightly unexpected burst of additional tangy sweetness, so perfectly suited for the Summer!
Would you believe that this is my very first chocolate brownie recipe on the blog? I'm not sure why as brownies do appear quite regularly in our house and we all love them. However, it is blondies that seem to have taken a lead on the blog thus far - White Chocolate & Almond Blondies with Raspberries or White Chocolate & Mini Eggs Blondies (do try these by the way, both delicious).
If brownies are your thing, make sure to check out my Mini Egg Brownies, Gingerbread Brownies, and Vegan Beetroot Brownies (Gluten-Free) too.
How to melt the chocolate with butter?
Tips when making Strawberry Chocolate Brownies
These brownies really are super delicious and quick to make but I would have one word of caution! Let them cool down properly before you cut into them. I know it's not an easy ask but trust me, your brownies will look so much neater. Once you take them out of the oven leave them to cool down a bit and once at room temperature pop them in the fridge for a couple of hours to chill properly before you attempt cutting them.
If you are not fussed about their visual appearance by no means feel free to dig in straight away but let me warn you, it's gonna get messy!
Once chilled and cut I do like to take these Chocolate Brownies with Strawberries out of the fridge at least half and hour before I serve them. I do prefer when they are at room temperature and squidgy but as far as cutting is concerned, chilled ones are the way to go!
How to make Strawberry Chocolate Brownies?
Strawberry Chocolate Brownies
- 200 g dark chocolate (roughly chopped ) or dark chocolate chips
- 100 g unsalted butter cubed
- 4 large eggs
- 200 g soft light brown sugar
- 100 g plain flour
- 40 g cocoa/cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200 g strawberries hulled & halved
- Put butter and chocolate in a small pan and melt gently on a low heat, stirring constantly. Alternatively, put butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl placed over a pan with simmering water (bain-marie). Make sure the bowl doesn't touch the water. Let the chocolate and butter melt slowly giving it a gentle stir from time to time with silicone spatula. Once melted, remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 160C/320F/Gas Mark 3.
- Whisk the eggs together with sugar and vanilla extract using hand held mixer, standing mixer with baloon whisk attachment or hand held whisk until slightly foamy and light.
- Sieve flour and cocoa powder directly onto egg and sugar mixture and mix in gently again using mixer or balloon whisk. Add cooled butter and chocolate mixture and give it one last mix until incorporated.
- Pour onto baking tray (roughly 24cm/8inch square) lightly buttered and lined with baking paper with two sides overlapping for easier removal of brownies later.
- Put strawberry halves gently on top of the brownie mixture (cut side down) and push them in only slightly.
- Bake in preheated oven for approx. 45 min until you see the papery crust form on top and batter no longer wobbles when you move the pan. Also the toothpick inserted into centre should have no raw brownie batter on it.
- Let the brownies cool completely in the tin and if you have lots of self restrain, pop cooled brownies in the fridge for couple of hours after. It will be much easier to slice. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Enjoy responsibly!
- Nutritional information is approximate, per serving and should be treated as a guideline only.
- If you want to be able to cut the brownies up into neat squares after baking, put them in the fridge for couple of hours once they've cooled down in their tray to firm up.
- As these brownies contain fresh strawberries, store them in the fridge, in the airtight container for up to 3 days. Freezing isn't recommended!
- Let them come to room temperature for half an hour before serving.
Update Notes: This post was originally published on 27 July 2018 and updated in June 2019 with some useful info and updated recipe card.
Some more seasonal bakes you might enjoy
Strawberry Muffins with White Chocolate Drizzle
Raspberry Cake (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
Blueberry Scones with Lemon Glaze
Easy Rhubarb Crumble (Rhubarb Crisp)
Blueberry Buns with Lemon Glaze (Jagodzianki)
Make sure you stay up to date with all the latest recipes from Jo’s Kitchen Larder
Have you tried my Strawberry Chocolate Brownies? Leave a comment at the bottom of this post, I love reading them!
You can also come and say hello over on my Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram or Pinterest
Pin Strawberry Chocolate Brownies For Later!
Cook Blog Share hosted by Lost in Food, Cook Once Eat Twice, Bake of the Week hosted by Mummy Mishaps & Casa Costello, We Should Cocoa, Fiesta Friday hosted by Angie, The Not So Creative Cook and Goats and Greens
*This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on a link and go on to buy the product I recommend, I will get a small commission, but you will not be charged a penny more. I only recommend products I own or really like and which caught my attention. Thanks in advance for supporting Jo’s Kitchen Larder!
Jacqui – Only Crumbs Remain:Recipes Made Easy says
I love the addition of berries in chocolate brownies. Makes a delicious treat even better!
I couldn't agree more! 🙂 Thank you Jacqui!
Angela / Only Crumbs Remain says
The utter temtation of having to wait for brownies to cool and firm up before slicing can be too much sometimes ... I have to confess that far too often I dive in far too soon ... but you know yummy chocolate brownie yumminess Jo LOL! I've not tried them with strawberries before, but knowing how good they are with either blackberries or raspberries I know these will be incredibly good *licks lips 🙂 Thankyou for sharing with Baking Crumbs JO 😉
The combination of brownies with strawberry is unique for me. I have always been a fan of brownies and enjoy fresh strawberries. So basically this recipe is the made up of my two favorite things. Thanks for sharing. 🙂
Of Goats and Greens says
These look great and tasty! Thanks for bringing these to the fiesta at Fiesta Friday!
Corina Blum says
These look so good! I've made chocolate muffins with strawberries in but never brownies so that is definitely something I would love to do. I wish I could eat one now! Thanks for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice x
Thanks Corina! 🙂 Chocolate muffins with strawberries sound lush too, I think that generally chocolate and strawberries combo is a winner! x
I like the idea of adding fresh strawberries, the brownies do look amazing.
Thanks so much Anca! 🙂 I thought that adding strawberries would make a lovely, summery dessert for all the brownie lovers like myself lol
Kat (The Baking Explorer) says
Your brownies look so good and I love the addition of strawberries for that summer feel!
Thanks Kat ? Strawberries make these brownies super summery indeed. ?
Cat | Curly's Cooking says
I love the look of these brownies. Who doesn't love strawberries and chocolate together?! Too many times have I tried to cut my brownies when they are too hot and have had a crumbly gooey mess! I don't know if I could wait for these to cool though - I'd want to dive straight in!x
Thanks Cat! 🙂 I had to be really strict with proper chilling time here for the sake of the photos but trust me I don't always show such self-restraint when it comes to brownies 😉 lol x
Jenny walters says
I'm LOVING these brownies Jo. I love the idea of strawberries buried within. Almost good for you.Hope you are enjoying the hols x
Thanks Jenny! 🙂 These are the bee's knees and now that I'm back in my kitchen after two weeks of international galavanting I will be baking them again! 🙂 x
I'm hopeless at waiting for brownies to cool down so much respect to you. What a splendid idea to add strawberries to brownies. I bet they're lush.
Thanks for sharing with #WeShouldCocoa. The 1st September will be the 8th anniversary and I'm making this month the final link-up. I do hope you'll join in and help make it an end to remember.
Lol it's not an easy wait for sure but I can be to ugh like that sometimes. 😉
8th anniversary and final link-up!!! Such a fantastic linky Choclette and source of so many chocolate delights, it's an end of an era! I'll try my best to link up!
Looks awesome! Love the strawberries cooked into the brownies!
I'm glad these caught your eye Ross and thanks for stopping by 🙂
Jacqui |Recipes Made Easy says
These look fabulous. I make chocolate brownies with blackberries but I am sure these would be just as delicious. Chocolate is so good with summer berries.
Thanks Jacqui! Yum, love the sound of brownies with blackberries too! Absolutely, chocolate and berries mach made in heaven.
Eb Gargano | Easy Peasy Foodie says
Oh wow - these look INCREDIBLE!! I often have brownies WITH strawberries, but I've never put the strawberries IN the batter before - I am going to have to try this!! Eb x
Thanks Eb! Strawberries go so fabulously well with chocolate don't they? I often have them on the side of my brownies too but baked into brownies they give them slightly different flavour dimension, this tangy sweetness against moreish and rich chocolate. Love them! 🙂 x