Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake is a perfect Summer bake making the most of fresh strawberries! Quick and easy to make, light & delicious! It's great with a simple cuppa or have it with cream for a lush dessert. Great for picnics too!
Strawberry Season is here and you have no idea how happy it makes me! I'm trying to eat with the seasons as much as possible and refuse to eat strawberries unless they've been grown as nature intended under the blue sunny skies and as local to me as possible! I mainly enjoy them as they are but I also wouldn't be myself if I didn't put my baking hat on and make something delicious and sweet out of these little rascals!
Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake - Seasonal Delight!
This cake is perfect for this time of year and would make a wonderful accompaniment to afternoon tea, a picnic fare or as a light dessert with some cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
I use homemade vanilla sugar in this recipe. It sounds pretty fancy but it's just fine caster sugar with used up pods of vanilla which I pop in a jar and top up with more sugar as I go along. Feel free to use regular caster sugar and add 1 tsp of vanilla extract instead.
Few tips when making Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake
There are only two very important things you need to remember before embarking on making this cake. These will ensure that you get a fluffy and light cake instead of dense and heavy disaster.
- All the ingredients (including yogurt) MUST be at room temperature.
- DO NOT overmix the batter.
As long as you stick to the above you will enjoy your new favourite strawberry cake baked to perfection!
How to make Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake & equipment you will need:
This delicious cake is super straightforward and you could easily make it without the need for any fancy mixers as a large bowl, a whisk , a spatula and a sieve are all you need.
If you are a happy owner of a standing mixer, feel free to make the use of it here as it will come handy when whisking oil, eggs and sugar together. Use your balloon whisk attachment for this.
I've used rectangular baking tin (28 x 18cm/11 x 7inch) lined with some baking paper but feel free to use round or square one if that's what you've got. You might need to adjust the baking time mind you so keep an eye on your cake!
What makes this cake special, super fresh and delicious are of course strawberries! Arrange them cut side up on top of the cake batter once in the tin and push them in gently! That's all there is to it!
Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake
- Rectangular baking tin 28x18cm (11x7inch) or equivalent (greased and lined with baking/greaseproof paper)
***All ingredients should be at room temperature***
- 350 g plain (all-purpose) flour
- 255 g plain yogurt preferrably full fat
- 85 ml rapeseed oil or any other mild oil you like
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 160 g caster (fine) sugar with vanilla or regular caster sugar + 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 punnet of strawberries hulled and halved lengthwise
- Icing sugar
Rectangular baking tin 28x18cm (11x7inch) or equivalent (greased and lined with baking/greaseproof paper)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Put oil, eggs and sugar in a bowl and whisk until combined (use a whisk or a standing mixer with baloon whisk attachment).
- Add yogurt and mix again until just incorporated. Don't worry if it looks as if it curdled, adding flour will fix it.
- Sieve flour and baking powder into the bowl with wet ingredients and mix gently until just combined. Don't overmix.
- Pour the cake batter onto prepared tin.
- Arrange strawberry halves on top of the batter (cut way up) and press them in gently.
- Bake in the preheated oven for approx 35-40 min until skewer inserted into centre comes out clean.
- Let it cool and sprinkle with icing sugar.
- Serve with ice cream or cream and enjoy!
- Nutritional information is approximate, per serving and should be treated as a guideline only.
- Store your cake in airtight container for up to 2 days.
Update Notes: This post was originally published on 23 June 2017 and updated in June 2019 with some useful info & updated recipe card.
Some more fresh strawberries recipes you might enjoy:
And couple more recipes you might like from friendly bloggers:
Strawberry Chocolate Banana Muffins from Searching for Spice
Strawberry & Basil Upside-Down Cake from Only Crumbs Remain
MAKE SURE YOU STAY UP TO DATE WITH ALL THE LATEST RECIPES FROM JO’S KITCHEN LARDER
Have you tried my Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake? Leave a comment at the bottom of this post, I love reading them!
Pin Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake for Later!
Cook Blog Share hosted by Monika at Everyday Healthy Recipes and Hijacked By Twins , Cook Once Eat Twice, Brilliant Blog Posts, Bake of the Week with CasaCostello and MummyMishaps, Simple and in Season