This creamy courgette (zucchini) soup with peas and mint added for good measure is smooth, fresh and full of flavour. Great for using up your glut of courgettes.
This beautifully creamy courgette soup (or zucchini to my American friends) has become my favourite summer soup this year.
To make it taste super summery and fresh, I've added some frozen peas and substantial amount of fresh mint which worked a treat!
We have been overwhelmed with the amount of courgettes from our two plants and so this lovely soup has made a regular occurrence on our tables throughout the summer together with my veggie fritters and savoury muffins (all of which contain quite a bit of courgette).
There is no cream of any kind in this light soup nor are there potatoes. So where does the creaminess come from I hear you ask.
Cannellini beans (but you could use any white beans here) are my secret weapon as when blended they impart lovely silky texture on the soup. As simple as that!
✔️ Why you'll love this recipe
- Perfect recipe for using up your glut of courgettes (zucchinis).
- Vegan and dairy-free.
- Creamy and silky smooth texture without any cream.
- Favourite with the kids (even those who don't like courgettes).
- Super nutritious and full of protein.
- Great in the summer but perfect at any time of year as can be made using frozen courgettes.
📝 Ingredients and substitutes
Here's what you will need to make my Courgette Soup:
Courgettes (Zucchini) - Use young, smaller ones if you can as they are more fleshy and not as watery but if you find yourself with larger specimen, there is no harm in using those ones too.
***Quick Tip*** Frozen courgettes can be used here instead. No need to defrost them.
Frozen Peas - They add lovely summery freshness to the soup. You can use fresh peas instead.
Fresh Mint - It goes so well with both peas and courgettes. It's a must!
Cannellini Beans - For that silky, creamy texture but also to add protein and make this soup more filling summer or not. Any white beans can be used here instead.
***Quick Tip*** There is no need to drain and rinse the beans. Their liquid will also help to thicken the soup. However, do watch out as some beans might contain added salt which is ok but it will affect your seasoning so season after adding beans and not before.
Veggie Stock - Use homemade, stock cube or veggie bouillon.
Onion - Use onion, shallots or perhaps a leek if you prefer.
Garlic - Fresh garlic is best but in the absence of it feel free to use some garlic powder to taste.
Salt & Pepper - Simple seasoning is all this soup needs.
Ingredient quantities & detailed instructions to be found in recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Prepare your courgettes by washing them, cutting off the ends and cutting them into small chunks. There is no need to peel or deseed them.
Peel and roughly chop onion and garlic.
In a large pan heat up couple tablespoon of oil and sauté onion and garlic for 5-8 minutes until they start to soften and become translucent. Make sure you don't let them brown too much.
Add prepared courgettes and sauté for another 5 minutes, stirring from time to time.
Next add beans together with their liquid and veggie stock. Bring to gentle boi and simmer (partially covered) for 5-7 minutes until courgettes are tender.
Add frozen peas and mint and simmer for 2 more minutes.
Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Puree using stick blender until you reach desired consistency, taste again and adjust seasoning if required.
Store: Keep leftover soup in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Reheat: Reheat gently on the hob or in the microwave.
Freeze: Courgette soup can be frozen for up to 3 months and defrosted overnight in the fridge.
💭 Pro Tips
Take your time blending for that super creamy, silky texture. Stick blender is usually fine but if you have a powerful high speed blender you might want to opt in for using it instead.
You can roast the courgettes, onion and garlic instead of cooking them on the hob which will intensify their flavour somewhat. See FAQ below for details.
I love to serve this soup with some vegan feta (I like Violife's Greek White is great), homemade vegan parmesan, some pan fried and tempeh crumbs or plant based smoked bacon lardons (we like and rate La Vie in the UK).
Some toasted pine nuts go really lovely here as well and perhaps a sprinkle of extra mint.
Yes you can make it roasted courgette soup if you want.
Make sure to cut onion into larger chunks (similar in size to courgette) and leave garlic cloves in there skins for roasting. Sprinkle over some olive oil and roast the veg in the preheated oven (180C/350F) for approx 30 minutes. Make sure to check on your veg from time to time and give it a stir half way through cooking.
In the meantime put frozen peas in a pan you'll be finishing your soup in (or in a blender jug) and pour over hot veggie stock.
Once your veggies finished roasting add them pot with stock and peas (make sure to squeeze the garlic out of their skins first) followed by beans and mint and some seasoning and blend.
Yes of course. Simply use them as you would fresh, there is no need to defrost them. entire process will take a bit longer though as courgettes will thaw as they cook.
Courgette soup is freezer friendly so perfect for batch cooking and freezing for when courgettes are out of season.
Have you tried my Courgette Soup with Peas and Mint?
Please consider giving it ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in recipe card below and share your views or tips in the comments.
😋 More summery soups
Creamy Courgette Soup with Peas and Mint
- 1 kg courgette (zucchini) washed, ends cut off and cut into chunks
- 200 g onion peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and roughly chopped
- 400 g tin cannellini beans or any white beans, see notes
- 1 ltr veggie stock homemade, cube or bouillon
- 20 g bunch fresh mint, leaves only
- 300 g frozen peas
- 2 tablespoon rapeseed/olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare your courgettes by washing them, cutting off the ends and cutting them into small chunks. There is no need to peel or deseed them. Peel and roughly chop onion and garlic.1 kg courgette (zucchini), 200 g onion, 4 cloves garlic
- In a large pan heat up couple tablespoon of oil and sauté onion and garlic for 5-8 minutes until they start to soften and become translucent. Make sure you don't let them brown too much.200 g onion, 2 tablespoon rapeseed/olive oil, 4 cloves garlic
- Add prepared courgettes and sauté for another 5 minutes, stirring from time to time.1 kg courgette (zucchini)
- Next add beans together with their liquid and veggie stock. Bring to gentle boi and simmer (partially covered) for 5-7 minutes until courgettes are tender.400 g tin cannellini beans, 1 ltr veggie stock
- Add frozen peas and mint and simmer for 2 more minutes.300 g frozen peas, 20 g bunch fresh mint, leaves only
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.salt and pepper
- Puree using stick blender until you reach desired consistency, taste again and adjust seasoning if required.
- Serve with your choice of toppings.
- Nutritional information is approximate, per serving based on 4 servings and should be treated as a rough guideline only.
- Any white beans can be used. Don't drain and rinse them but add the liquid as well.
- For more details regarding ingredients see - Ingredients and substitutes above.
- Store leftover soup in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.