Air fryer asparagus makes quick, easy and most delicious side dish. Perfectly roasted asparagus from your air fryer in less than 10 minutes and without oven in sight!
With this super simple air fryer asparagus recipe or guide, you will have the most delicious, seasonal, roasted veggie side dish on your table in minutes.
Oh how I love roasted asparagus! But what if you could have roasted asparagus without an oven and in approximately 10 minutes?
With an air fryer you can and the results are as crispy, tender and delicious as if it was roasted in the oven.
Asparagus - The fresher the better! All you need to do is to wash and trim it by snapping or cutting off the woody ends at approximately 2.5-5cm/1-2inches.
Oil - Use your favourite type of oil here and don't be tempted to go without as your asparagus will not get crispy and won't have that "roasted in the oven" texture and flavour.
Once air fried, you can then think of toppings, seasonings and other flavour enhancers you might want to add but for now it's only these two ingredients.
🔪 How to make air fryer asparagus
Ingredient quantities & detailed instructions to be found in recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Wash the asparagus and snap or cut off the woody ends.
Spray or drizzle prepared spears with a little bit of oil and gently rub it all over the asparagus to make sure it is nicely covered.
Put the asparagus in a single layer in a drawer/basket of your air fryer and cook on "air fry" setting at 200C/400F for 6-12 minutes depending on the thickness of the asparagus. My spears were medium thickness and took 8 minutes to air fry.
Half way through the cooking, give the asparagus a gentle shake to ensure even results.
Once done, serve immediately with your choice of seasonings and/or condiments.
***Quick Tip***Depending on the model of your air fryer you might need to preheat it (refer to the manual).
Of course one piece of kit you need to make air fryer asparagus is an air fryer.
I love my Ninja Foodi Dual Zone Air Fryer and would highly recommend it if you're on the market for good, family size machine.
This is not a sponsored post. I have been using this particular air fryer for almost a year now and prior to that I'd spent long time researching different makes and models before I settled on this one.
If not consumed straight away, store in the airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Eat cold or reheat in the air fryer, microwave or in a pan.
I wouldn't recommend freezing as it will affect texture of the asparagus making it mushy and stringy.
💭 Top tips
Use crisper plate (if your air fryer has one) for best results.
Don't overcrowd the drawer/basket. Air frying the asparagus in a single layer gives the best result.
Using oil is vital for crispest asparagus.
Give asparagus a little shake half way through air frying to ensure it cooks evenly.
Adjust the timing according to thickness of asparagus spears you've got. Really thin ones might be ready in as little as 5-6 minutes and really thick ones in approximately 10-12 minutes.
I'm all for simplicity when it comes to serving vegetables.
Sprinkle of good quality salt and a squeeze of lemon juice over my asparagus and I'm happy.
In such a simple form it makes perfect spring side dish that goes well with so many delicious dishes:
Portobello Mushroom Burger with Caramelised Onions
Easy Chickpea and Carrot Falafel Burgers and so much more...
Another favourite would be my vegan parmesan which makes perfect seasoning.
Feel free to serve it with your favourite sauces and seasonings. Some more delicious options could include:
- simple balsamic vinaigrette
- blackberry vinegar reduction
- easy vegan tzatziki
- broad bean dip
- wild garlic and walnut pesto
Air frying times for asparagus spears will vary depending on the thickness of the spears. Don't be afraid to check on it half way through cooking time as you take out the drawer/basket to give it a shake and then again near finishing time. The great thing about the air fryer is that you can open it at any time.
Thin spears - 5-6 minutes
Medium spears - 8 minutes
Thick spears - 10-12 minutes
It will look nice and crispy and when you pierce it gently with a tip of the knife, it should go in really easy.
You want your asparagus tender but definitely not mushy.
There is absolutely no need to do that. Making sure that you get rid of woody ends of the spears (usually 2.5-5cm/1-2inches) is enough.
Have you tried Air Fryer Asparagus?
Please consider giving it ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in recipe card below and share your views or tips in the comments.
😋 More asparagus recipes
Air Fryer Asparagus
- 400 g fresh asparagus
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed/olive oil
- seasoning/flavourings of your choice to serve
- Wash the asparagus and snap or cut off the woody ends (approximately 2.5-5cm/1-2inches).
- Spray or drizzle prepared spears with a little bit of oil and gently rub it all over the asparagus to make sure it is nicely covered.
- Put the asparagus in a single layer in a drawer/basket of your air fryer and cook on "air fry" setting at 200C/400F for 6-12 minutes depending on the thickness of the asparagus. My spears were medium thickness and took 8 minutes to air fry, thin spears will take approximately 5-6 minutes and thick ones 10-12 minutes.
- Half way through the cooking, give the asparagus a gentle shake to ensure it cooks evenly.
- Once done, serve immediately with your choice of seasonings and condiments.
- Nutritional information is approximate, per serving based on 4 servings and without seasonings or condiments. It should be treated as a rough guideline only.
- Best eaten straight away but leftover can be kept in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Freezing isn't recommended as it would affect texture of asparagus.
- Enjoy with your choice of seasonings/condiments. See Serving Suggestions for some ideas.
Please leave a comment & rating if you've made my recipe! Feel free to ask questions too, I reply to all!