Smoked Mackerel Pâté with Horseradish is quick, easy, versatile & full of healthy Omega-3 fatty acids. Perfect as an elegant fish starter, snack or light lunch!
The recipe I’m sharing with you today is super simple yet so delicious. I am a big fan of spreads and pastes as sandwich fillings but also as a moreish addition to an oatcake or a cracker. My Smoked Mackerel Pâté with Horseradish is one of those spreads. It’s quick and easy to prepare so you can enjoy it in no time.
Is Smoked Mackerel Pâté spicy?
It will depend on the type of horseradish cream (sauce) you use. The one I’ve used here was quite mild and creamy but you can also buy hotter varieties with more actual horseradish in the sauce. You could also use fresh horseradish root (if you can get hold of one) but be ware as this stuff really has a kick to it so add a grating at a time and taste, taste, taste!
How can I make Smoked Mackerel Pâté healthier?
This pâté is pretty wholesome, however, I do use full fat mayo in this recipe. The good news is, you can quite drastically reduce the number of fat and calories by making some easy swaps. One of the obvious ones would be using reduced fat mayo instead of full fat version. You could also use half mayo half natural yogurt or reduced fat creme fraiche which works just as well.
Smoked Mackerel Pâté with Horseradish – serving suggestions
This pate is really versatile and could be served as one of the following:
- Paired with some lightly toasted sourdough it would make an elegant fish starter.
- It would make a perfect dip for toasted pita bread pieces.
- Delicious sandwich filler.
- It goes really well as a topping for baked sweet potato or regular jacket potato.
- Lovely on its own on top of some mixed salad leaves.
- Try it as a snack or light lunch paired with some oatcakes or crackers and array of salad goodies like radishes, cucumber slices and cherry tomatoes (perfect addition to any picnic or party spread together with few of my other favourites: Asparagus and Parma Ham Twists with PestoSun-Dried Tomato and Basil Turkey Rolls
How long will this pâté keep for and can I freeze it?
Smoked Mackerel Pâté can be kept covered in the fridge for up to 3 days. Freezing, however, wouldn’t be advisable as it contains mayo which doesn’t freeze well.
I like my fish pâté smooth and this one looks quite chunky.
I usually flake the mackerel fillets into a bowl and mix all the ingredients with the fork keeping some texture. However, if you prefer really smooth pates the best way would be to put the fillets into the food process and whiz them until smooth before adding all the other ingredients and mixing them in with a fork.
How to make Smoked Mackerel Pâté with Horseradish – Step By Step
Smoked Mackerel & Horseradish Pâté
- 200-250 g smoked mackerel fillets skinned
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
- juice of quarter or half a lemon depending on your taste
- 3 spring onions (scallions) (green parts only + more as garnish) washed and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp horseradish cream (sauce) or more depending on your preference
- salt & pepper to taste
- Take the skin off the mackerel and tear the fish into small pieces then pop them in a bowl. Make sure you pay attention to tiny little bones which you want to discard. If you like your pate really smooth, simply whiz it in a food processor instead.
- Using a fork mix flaked or pureed fish with mayonnaise and horseradish.
- Add juice of a lemon and mix thoroughly. Start with quarter of a lemon first, taste and add more if needed.
- Wash and slice finely your spring onions and mix with the fish.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Nutritional information is approximate and should be treated as a guideline only.
- You could substitute spring onions with small bunch of chives.
- For healthier ingredient substitutions check out the post above.
- Pate will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Update Notes: This post was originally published on 27 July 2017, but was republished with new recipe card, updated photos, step-by-step process photos, tips and other useful info in February 2019.
More smoked mackerel recipes you might enjoy:
MAKE SURE YOU STAY UP TO DATE WITH ALL THE LATEST RECIPES FROM JO’S KITCHEN LARDER
Pin Smoked Mackerel Pâté with Horseradish For Later!
Cook Once Eat Twice hosted by Corina at Searching for Spice
Brilliant Blog Posts hosted by Vicki at Honest Mum Blog
Simple and in Season hosted by Katie at Feeding Boys