Stewed Rhubarb (Rhubarb Compote)
Simple and delicious this basic stewed rhubarb recipe requires only 3 ingredients with extra flavourings as needed to suit your mood & taste.
Servings 6 servings
- 500 g rhubarb chopped into small chunks
- 70 g demerara sugar see notes
- 1 orange (juice & zest of) see notes
- freshly grated ginger, cinnamon, star anise, vanilla optional
Prepare your rhubarb by washing and cutting it into small chunks. I cut mine into 5cm/2inch pieces.
Put it into a medium size saucepan together with the juice and zest of one orange, sugar and the flavourings of choice.
Cook on a medium heat stirring from time to time (especially at the beginning before rhubarb has released its juices) for 8-10 minutes depending on your preferred consistency of the rhubarb.
Take the pan off the heat, let it cool slightly and enjoy!
- Nutritional information is approximate, per serving (Based on 6 servings) and should be treated as a guideline only.
- Feel free to use any type of sugar you want.
- If you don't have an orange substitute it with 5 Tbsp orange juice and perhaps zest of a lemon (optional).
- Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to a year.
Calories: 74kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 4mg | Potassium: 280mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 134IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 1mg