How To Make Homemade Croutons
Learn how to make homemade croutons in your own kitchen. Perfect for soups, stews and salads, they're crispy, quick and easy to make and simply the best!
Servings 8 servings
- 4 large slices of sourdough or any other bread, preferrably day or two old see notes
- mixed herbs see notes
- rapeseed or olive oil
- garlic powder or pressed fresh garlic clove
- salt, pepper
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
Cut nice, chunky slices out of your slightly stale bread loaf.
Cut the slices into nice chunks with skin on or off as per your liking.
Spread the chunks of bread evenly on a baking tray, drizzle with some olive oil and mix well.
Sprinkle over herbs of your choice and some salt and pepper. The quantity will depend on your preferences but don't be afraid to get some flavour in there. If you fancy some garlic, sprinkle some garlic powder or add some freshly pressed/minced garlic clove. Mix well with your hands making sure that your bread is nicely and evenly covered.
Bake in preheated oven for approx. 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
They are ready to use straight away or cool them completely and store in airtight container for up to 2 days. They are freezer friendly too!
Enjoy on soups, stews and salads!
- Nutritional information is approximate, per serving and should be treated as a guideline only.
- You can use any bread you like but preferably not a sliced supermarket loaf unless fresh/bakery type. Slightly stale loaf would be preferable although fresh will do to. Leave few slices of bread out on the cutting board uncovered an hour or two before making croutons to dry them out a bit.
- I really like using mixed herbs for my croutons as they are very versatile but any herbs of your choice will do. Alternatively, keep it simple with just salt, pepper and perhaps some fresh garlic or garlic powder.
- Store in the airtight container for up to 2 days.
- Freezer friendly!
Calories: 125kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 164mg | Potassium: 46mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 1mg