These Gingerbread Brownies are fudgy, gooey, chocolatey & full of winter spices. They're rich & taste of chocolate gingerbread! Perfect festive indulgence and wonderful little offering when entertaining!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 16 servings
- 100 g plain (all-purpose) flour
- 35 g cocoa or cacao powder
- 200 g light brown sugar
- 170 g baking spread or unsalted butter
- 100 g milk chocolate chips
- 100 g dark chocolate chips
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 40 g stem ginger in syrup (roughly 2 balls) finely chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract optional
Preheat the oven to 160C/320F/Gas Mark 3.
Start with melting your spread/butter and chocolate chips gently in a pan over low heat stirring constantly. Alternatively, put both spread/butter and chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl placed over a pan with simmering water (bain-marie method) making sure the bowl doesn’t touch water. Let the chocolate and butter melt slowly giving it gentle stir from time to time. Once melted, remove from the heat and set aside to cool as you get on with your brownies.
Crack eggs into a large bowl, jug or bowl of your standing mixer. Add brown sugar and vanilla extract (if using) and whisk until light and foamy.
Sieve flour, cocoa and spices into the bowl and mix in gently with spatula.
Add melted butter & chocolate mixture and whisk briefly until incorporated.
Add chopped stem ginger and fold it in gently.
Pour brownie batter into baking tin that's been lightly greased and lined with baking paper overlapping on two sides, which will help with brownie removal later.
Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until you see thin paper like crust formed on top. When you insert your skewer in the middle of the brownies it should not be completely clean but there should be some chocolate mixture still on it.
Let your brownies cool in the tin for a few minutes before removing them onto the rack to cool completely. They will firm up as they cool.
Cut into portions and enjoy!
- Nutritional information is approximate per serving and should be treated as a rough guideline only.
- Take care not to overbake them! 25-30 minutes in 160C/320F/Gas Mark 3 is all they need. I know it might seem odd to be taking them out of the oven when skewer inserted in the centre comes out slightly covered in chocolate mixture but that's what you need to do. Trust me! The best brownies are gooey and fudgy in the centre and they will firm up as they cool down.
- This might be something you really don't want to hear but these gingerbread brownies taste even better the following day! As with any gingerbread bake the flavours need some time to marry and mingle although if your strong will is non existent they will still be tasty on the day you bake them.
- Remember to let them cool down and firm up before you cut them into portions. It will make for much easier and less messy job!
- Store your brownies in the airtight container for 3-4 days. If it's particularly hot or you want to keep them for longer than you can refrigerate them but always take them out of the fridge at least half an hour before eating as they taste best when at room temperature.
- Freezer friendly.
Calories: 239kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 32mg | Sodium: 128mg | Potassium: 117mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 439IU | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 1mg