Butternut Squash & Chestnut Soup
This Butternut Squash & Chestnut Soup is silky and creamy with no dairy in sight, just earthy flavours & savoury sweetness from butternut squash and chestnuts. Pure comfort!
Servings 6 servings
- 1 butternut squash (850g-1kg unpeeled weight) peeled, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 onion peeled and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and left whole
- 180 g pack of whole cooked chestnuts I use Merchant Gourmet*
- 800 ml vegetable or chicken stock (from cube is fine) I use Kallo*
- 2 tsp dried sage
- 2 tsp sea salt
- freshly grated nutmeg to serve see notes
For Froothie Evolve users
Put all the ingredients into Froothie Evolve cooking jug and put the lid on. Turn the machine on and choose Smooth Soup option from the LED display menu on your blender. Alterntively, instruct froothie via voice activation saying "Hey Froothie, Make my Soup". Froothie Evolve will start pre-programmed soup making function and your soup will be piping hot and ready in 30 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if requred.
On the hob method
If not using Froothie Evolve, simply put all the ingredients including stock in the large soup/stock pot, bring to boil and then simmer partly covered for 20-30 minuts or until butternut squash is tender. Puree with stick blender until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning if requried.
Serve granished with some roasted pumpkin seeds and freshly grated nutmeg.
- Nutritional information is approximate, per serving (based on 6 servings) and should be treated as a guideline only.
- I haven't included nutmeg in the soup recipe itself as it can be an acquired taste hence better when added to the individual portions. I think it goes really well with all the flavours in this soup and would recommend generous grating on top when serving.
- This recipe yields just under 1.8ltr soup which makes 4 really generous or 6 smaller portions depending on the appetites and accompaniments.
- Soup will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days and it is freezer friendly for up to 3 months.
Calories: 129kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1315mg | Potassium: 600mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 13217IU | Vitamin C: 39mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 1mg