Healthy Vegan Banana Bread
My delicious Healthy Vegan Banana Bread recipe is simply the best! It’s not only wholesome but also really easy to make with simple ingredients, foolproof and really moist too! Customise it to your liking with different nuts or chocolate and enjoy for breakfast, as a healthy snack or even dessert!
Servings 8 slices
- 250 g flour (half plain & half wholemeal) see notes
- 3 large very ripe bananas (approx 300g peeled weight)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 tablespoon rapeseed oil / olive oil/ melted coconut oil see notes
- 55 g plain plant based yogurt
- 100 g brown or coconut sugar
- 50-75 g chopped walnuts see notes
- 50 g vegan dark chocolate (melted for drizzling) optional
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
Prepare your loaf tin (I use one roughly 24 x 10cm) by greasing it gently with some oil and lining it with baking paper. Set aside.
Put all your dry ingredients (flour(s), sugar, baking powder, baking, soda, cinnamon, mixed spice & chopped walnuts) in a large bowl and give them a mix with a spoon or a whisk.
Add all your wet ingredients (mashed bananas, yogurt and oil) and mix until incorporated and there is no visible flour. Your batter will be lumpy and thick which is as it should be.
Transfer your batter to prepared loaf tin and bake in the preheated oven for 50-55min until the skewer inserted into centre comes out clean.
Once baked, let it rest in a loaf tin for 10 minutes before turning it out and transferring onto cooling rack to cool completely.
Drizzle with some melted chocolate if you wish .
- Nutritional information is approximate, per serving based on 8 servings, will vary depending on the ingredients used and should be treated as a guideline only.
- Flours: I use half wholemeal & half plain (all-purpose) flour but feel free to use all wholemeal or all plain flour if you want. My favourite wholemeal flour is Wholegrain Spelt flour but you can use any wholemeal flour you've got.
- Feel free to use any oil you like. If you are oil free you could substitute it with same amount of pureed apple/ applesauce or increase the amount of yogurt by two extra tablespoons.
- Walnuts can be substituted with any nuts of your choice or even chocolate chips. You could also use both if you fancy.
- This Healthy Vegan Banana Bread will last in the airtight container for up to 4 days. Alternatively, you can freeze it for up to 3 months.
Calories: 284kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 143mg | Potassium: 242mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 24IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 59mg | Iron: 2mg