Easy Pear and Fresh Ginger Cake
Easy Pear and Fresh Ginger Cake is quick to make, light & beautifully moist. Combination of sweet, sticky pears and hint of spice from fresh ginger is divine! Perfect on its own with a cuppa or with some ice cream for more elaborate dessert!
Servings 8 slices
- 180 g plain flour or white spelt flour or mixture of both
- 95 ml full fat plain yogurt
- 95 ml rapeseed or olive oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp freshly grated ginger or more for extra spice
- 130 g light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 small pears (approx 400g) cored, peeled and quartered
- 1 Tbsp Demerara sugar to sprinkle over the top
Non-stick 20cm/8inches cake or springform tin (bottom lined with baking paper)
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
Put flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and sugar in a large bowl and mix gently with a whisk. Alternatively, sieve all the dry ingredients with the exception of sugar onto a large bowl, add sugar and give your dry ingredients a quick mix to incorporate sugar.
In another bowl mix together yogurt, oil, eggs and freshly grated ginger.
Make a well in the middle of your dry ingredients and pour in wet ingredients mixture. Fold in gently until fully incorporated but don't overmix. Pour in your batter onto prepared cake tin.
Arrange sliced pears gently on top of the cake batter, pushing them in ever so slightly. Sprinkle over some Demerara sugar and bake in the preheated oven for approx 40 min or until skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Take your cake out of the oven and let it cool slightly in the tin before taking it out onto the rolling rack. Serve as is or with some vanilla ice cream! Enjoy!
- Nutritional information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
- You could substitute freshly grated ginger with the same amount of grated or really finely chopped stem ginger.
- For more of a spice kick feel free to increase the amount of ginger to 3 tsp or add a teaspoon of ground ginger to your dry ingredients.
- Feel free to keep pear slices as thin or as chunky as you like. My pears were rather small and quartering them gave me small yet chunkier slices which worked really nice with a lovely fruit bite in each slice of the cake.
Serving: 0g | Calories: 354kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 71mg | Sodium: 117mg | Potassium: 281mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 28g | Vitamin A: 140IU | Vitamin C: 4.8mg | Calcium: 85mg | Iron: 1.8mg