Wild Garlic & Walnut Pesto
This Wild Garlic & Walnut Pesto is such a versatile sauce with pungent wild garlic notes coming through beautifully! Wonderfully seasonal, wholesome & delicious. Perfect with pasta, stirred through soups & stews or as a marinade.
Servings 2 125ml (½ cup) jars
- 100 g wild garlic washed and dried
- 50 g toasted walnuts feel free to use different nuts
- 100 ml extra virgin olive oil (+ little extra for the jars)
- 30 g grated parmesan see notes
- small bunch of parsley stalks optional
- salt & pepper to taste
- juice of half a lemon optional
- water to adjust consistency if required
Toast walnuts in a dry pan for couple of minutes until fragrant but not coloured. Make sure you give a pan a little shake every so often.
Pop toasted walnuts in a food processor and blend them until they have sand like consistency. Add wild garlic, parsley stalks and lemon juice (if using) and blend until mixture resembles paste.If you're making vegan version you would add nutritional yeast at this stage as well.
With food processor running, very slowly pour in the olive oil (trickle it in) which will help to emulsify and loosen up the garlic & walnut paste.
Add grated cheese, salt & pepper and give your mixture one last quick blitz. At this stage you can also adjust consistency to your liking by adding a little bit of water.
Transfer to jars & cover with extra drizzle of olive oil to help and preserve your pesto in the fridge.
- Nutritional values are approximate and per 125ml (½ cup) jar of pesto.
- Store in the fridge for up to a week or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Substitute parmesan with nutritional yeast for vegan version.
- I like using some leftover fresh parsley stalks whenever I've got them handy. They add extra goodness but also help to preserve the lovely green colour.
- Add some lemon juice to your pesto for that extra zing and again to preserve the lovely green colour.
- Feel free to use less wild garlic and make up the amount with other herbs (basil would be great here).
- Once in jars pour a little extra virgin olive oil over your pesto to help preserve it that bit longer.
- Feel free to adjust consistency of your pesto with some water.
Serving: 0g | Calories: 771kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 71g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 13mg | Sodium: 242mg | Potassium: 129mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 130IU | Vitamin C: 21.3mg | Calcium: 316mg | Iron: 2.3mg