Chocolate Courgette Cake (Chocolate Zucchini Cake)
This super easy and "not so good for you" Chocolate Courgette Cake is super moist, fudgy & oh so chocolatey. It's time to get baking!
Servings 12 slices
- 115 g unsalted butter softened
- 250 g caster sugar
- 125 ml rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 125 ml sour cream or plain full fat yogurt
- 300 g plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 60 g cocoa or cacao powder
- 340 g courgette (zucchini) grated (see notes)
- 60 g dark chocolate chips or roughly chopped dark chocolate
- 100 g dark chocolate or chocolate chips
- 40 g unsalted butter
All the ingredients should be at room temperature. Sieve flour, salt, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda and put aside.
Put butter and sugar in a large bowl or bowl of your standing mixer and mix together until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and continue mixing. Gradually add oil and vanilla.
Add sieved dry ingredients in three parts alternating with sour cream/yogurt. Mix only until all the ingredients are incorporated, do not over mix. Add courgette (zucchini) and chocolate chips and fold them in gently.
Put the mixture in a baking tin lined with baking paper and bake for approx 50-55 mins at 160C/320F/Gas Mark 3 until the skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Take the cake out of the oven and let it cool before spreading chocolate ganache.
To make ganache put butter and chopped dark chocolate in a pan on low heat and mix until melted and combined. Cool slightly, spread onto your cake and enjoy!
- Nutritional information is approximate, per slice and should be treated as a guideline only.
- There is no need to peel courgette (zucchini) before grating. However if you are using overgrown ones you might want to scoop out and discard the seeds. You won't have to do this when using young vegetables.
- Store at room temperature in airtight container for 2-3 days or up to 5 days in the fridge. If storing in the fridge bring it to room temperature before serving.
- Cake is suitable for freezing (see details above)
Serving: 0g | Calories: 476kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 60mg | Sodium: 143mg | Potassium: 307mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 26g | Vitamin A: 485IU | Vitamin C: 5.2mg | Calcium: 82mg | Iron: 2.3mg