Easy Rhubarb Tart (Vegan)
You’ll love my vegan version of rustic Rhubarb Tart recipe also known as Rhubarb Galette. It makes for really easy to make yet impressive seasonal dessert.
Servings 4 servings
- 160 g plain flour
- 140 g vegan block butter or unsalted butter see notes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp caster sugar (fine sugar)
- 3-4 tbsp ice cold water use as little as possible
- 300 g rhubarb cut into small chunks
- 120 g caster sugar (vanilla sugar) see notes
- 20 g plain flour
- 1/2-1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- pich of salt
Vegan "egg wash"
- 1/2 tbsp agave syrup
- 1/2 tbsp oat milk or any other plant milk
- demerara sugar to sprinkle over
- extra vegan butter to dot over the filling optional
Put all the ingredients with the exception of butter in the food processor and pulse until combined.
Add chunks of cold butter and continue pulsing until you start getting crumbs like consistency.
Add a little bit of ice cold water at a time and continue pulsing until dough starts coming together. Try and add as little water as possible.
If you don’t have food processor simply mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl, add chilled, cubed butter and rub with your fingers until you get to crumbs like consistency. Add a little bit of icy water and keep on mixing with your hands until dough starts coming together.
Turn the dough out onto floured kitchen counter and bring together with your hands.
Flatten to form a disc, wrap in cling film or beeswax wraps* and chill in the fridge for an hour.
Rhubarb Tart Assembly
Roll out your pastry on a lightly floured surface to make a rough circle approx. 25-28cm/10-11″ in diameter and transfer it onto lined square baking sheet*.
Put all the tart filling ingredients in a large bowl and give them a good mix to combine.
Arrange filling mixture in the middle of rolled out pastry making sure you scrape out every single bit of flour and sugar onto the rhubarb mix. You should have a round pile of filling mixture measuring roughly 17cm/7” in diameter. You don’t need to be that precise, simply ensure you leave the wide border of pastry all around to fold over the filling.
Next you will do just that, fold the border over your rhubarb mixture overlapping slightly as you go along.
Chill your tart in the fridge for 15 minutes as you preheat your oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
Take the baking sheet with the tart out of the fridge and brush pastry edge with “vegan wash” (mixture of agave syrup and plant based milk).
Sprinkle over some demerara sugar and dot the uncovered filling with small pieces of butter (optional).
Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes until pastry is golden brown and the filling is visibly bubbling.
Let it cool a bit and serve still warm or at room temperature with your favourite ice cream or custard!
- Nutritional information is approximate, per serving based on 4 servings and should be treated as a guideline only.
- My recipe is vegan but feel free to use unsalted butter in pastry and regular egg wash if you want.
- Make sure you chill your pastry dough. If you are making your pastry using vegan butter, bear in mind that it will never get very hard in the fridge anyway and will still be quite soft when you’re rolling it out. Don’t let that put you off as it will be quite easy to roll out and if it breaks when you’re transferring it to the baking tray simply patch the holes up with some dough. The beauty of rustic tart is that it doesn’t have to look perfect.
- Adding the flour to your rhubarb mixture will not only thicken the filling but also absorb the juices to prevent them from leaking out so do make sure you tip all of the flour/sugar mix onto the pastry together with your rhubarb.
- Rhubarb Tart is best served on the day it's baked but leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Tart can be made ahead and kept in the fridge unbaked for a few hours until you're ready to bake it.
- Not suitable for freezing.
Calories: 565kcal | Carbohydrates: 72g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 525mg | Potassium: 259mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 35g | Vitamin A: 77IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 2mg