Kale crisps (or chips if you prefer) are super simple to make, healthy, crispy, lightly salty and delicious! Oven baked and super customisable – simply spice them up any way you want for the ultimate baked veggie snack!
Servings 2 servings
- 100 g kale leaves (half a large bunch) leaves removed from stems and torn into smaller pieces
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed or olive oil
- sprinkling of salt I highly recommend fine Himalayan salt*
- 1 tablespoon Za'atar spice or any other seasoning of choice- cumin, coriander, chilli flakes, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, curry powder, cayenne pepper, nutritional yeast and more... Adjust quantities accordingy.
Preheat the oven to 130C/250F/Gas Mark ½.
Prepare large, shallow baking tray and line it with baking paper.
Remove kale leaves from the stems, tear them into smaller pieces, wash and dry them thoroughly.
Put dried kale leaves in a large bowl and sprinkle over 1 tablespoon of rapeseed or olive oil. If you’ve got your oil in a handy spray bottle, simply squirt it few times over the leaves and massage in patiently until it has been evenly distributed.
Transfer kale pieces onto prepared baking tray, sprinkle over seasoning of choice (I’ve used Za’atar here) and put into the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
Once the time is up, take the tray out of the oven and move your kale pieces around with spatula or even your hand to ensure they bake evenly and pop back in the oven for another 5-8 minutes or so but make sure you keep an eye on them. You might have to give your kale another shuffle around 5-8 minute mark and pop back in the oven for extra couple of minutes.
Once baked, let your crisps sit on the baking tray for 5 minutes to cool slightly. This will let them crisp up that bit more.
Adjust seasoning if required, sprinkle over some salt and enjoy!
Top tips for Kale Crisps success
- Nutritional information is approximate, per serving (based on two servings) and without seasoning and should be treated as a guideline only.
- Recipe is easily doubled.
- Kale crisps are best eaten on the day they're baked.
- Make sure you dry your kale really well after washing!
- Low and slow is the key! Preheat your oven to 130C/250F/Gas Mark ½ all the way! Don’t be tempted to crank that heat up!
- Oil is a must! Not too much or too little. I find 1 tablespoon works well and that amount of oil lets me cover all of the leaves nice and even.
- Make sure you bake your kale chips in one single layer without overcrowding your tray.
- Really take your time and massage the oil into every single piece of kalein your bowl. It will really help you achieve beautifully crispy chips.
- Let your kale crisps sit on a baking tray for a few minutes once you’ve taken them out of the oven. They will crisp up a bit more as they cool down.
- Sprinkle your chips with the salt after and not before you bake them to prevent over salting them.
Calories: 92kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 20mg | Potassium: 246mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 5071IU | Vitamin C: 61mg | Calcium: 113mg | Iron: 3mg