Easy Turmeric Rice (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
Servings 4 generous servings
- 300 g white Basmati rice rinsed well
- 2 tbsp rapeseed/olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves (or 1 large one) minced or finely chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 600 ml vegetable stock from cube is fine
- salt to taste
- fresh coriander/cilantro to serve
Rinse basmati rice by placing it in a sieve and running under the cold tap until water runs clear. Set aside.
Heat up the oil in a medium size lidded pan/saucepan. Add chopped onion and fry it gently until softened (5-8min).
Add minced garlic, bay leaf, mustard seeds and turmeric. Give it all a good mix and fry for couple more minutes until fragrant.
Add basmati rice and give it a good stir to make sure it is well mixed with the onion and spices.
Pour in the stock and give it all a good mix. Bring it back to boil and cover the pot with a lid. Reduce the heat to minimum and let the rice simmer for approx. 10 min at which point lift the lid and check whether all the liquid has been absorbed.
Take the pan off the heat and fluff the rice with a fork. Put the lid back on and let the rice stand approx. 5 min.
Garnish with fresh coriander and serve.
- Nutritional information is approximate, per serving (based on 4 large servings) and should be treated as a guideline only.
- This recipe yields 4 large or 6 small servings (depending on your appetite).
- Leftover turmeric rice should be cooled as soon as possible & can be stored in the fridge for up to a day or frozen for up to a month. Make sure to reheat the rice only once and until it's piping hot.
Calories: 362kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 605mg | Potassium: 139mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 320IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1mg