Vegetarian Sausage Rolls Recipe
These Vegetarian Sausage Rolls are packed to the brim full of goodness. Sweet potato, courgette & bean mixture wrapped in flaky puff pastry, they are just the best! They will make perfect little appetizer, snack or party food!
Servings 16 rolls
- 2 sweet potatoes approx. 300-320g peeled weight, peeled and cubed
- 1 400g tin red kidney beans or black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 courgette approx. 120g coarsely grated (no need to peel)
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced or very finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (heaped) tomato puree
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ 30g bunch of parsley finely chopped (stalks & leaves)
- ½ 30g bunch of coriander (cilantro) finely chopped (stalks & leaves)
- zest of one lemon
- 1 egg lightly whisked (see notes)
- 375 g ready rolled puff pastry sheet see notes
- sesame and poppy seeds to sprinkle
- sea salt and pepper to taste
Vegetarian Sausage Rolls Filling
Start with preparing your sweet potatoes by peeling them and cutting into small cubes. Place them in microwavable bowl, cover loosely and cook on high power setting in your microwave for 6-10 minutes or until fork tender. You can also steam or roast your sweet potato cubes instead if you prefer.
When your sweet potatoes are cooking prepare all the remaining ingredients as per instructions above. Make sure you take puff pastry out of the fridge at least 20 minutes before you are planning on using it to make it easier to unroll.
Once your sweet potatoes are cooked and cooled sligtly, mash them up roughly using potato masher. Add red kidney beans and mash a bit more.
Now add all the remaining ingredients - courgette, red onion and garlic, chopped herbs, spices and tomato puree. Grate zest from one lemon, season to taste with salt and pepper.
Mix everyting well until nicely combined. You've got your vegetarian sausage rolls filling.
Unroll your puff pastry sheet and cut it in half lengthwise.
Divide you filling into two and place it like a long sausage in the middle of each puff pastry rectangle.
Roll one side of each pastry rectangle over the filling and roll some more to fully enclose the filling in the pastry. Divide each roll into 8 mini sausage rolls and place on the baking paper lined baking tray. Score the top of the pastry with a sharp knife if you want to. If you have time refrigerate for 20 minutes to let the rolls firm up a bit (especially if your filing was warm). You can skip this step if you are in a real hurry.
Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/ Gas Mark 6.
Brush your rolls with beaten egg or oil and sprinkle some sesame and/or poppy seeds and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
Enjoy warm or at room temperature with your choice of condiments.
- Nutritional information is approximate, per roll and should be treated as a guideline only.
- If you'd like to make these vegetarian sausage rolls vegan simply substitute the egg was with a little bit of oil brushed over the rolls. Also make sure that the puff pastry you're using is dairy free.
- Feel free to use puff pastry block instead of ready rolled version and roll it out yourself.
Inspiration: Sainsbury's Eat Veggie Magazine
- To save yourself some time cook your sweet potatoes in advance. They don't need to be cooked in the microwave either, simply steam or bake them, whatever's easiest.
- Take your puff pastry out of the fridge at least 20 minutes before using to make it easier to unroll.
- Let your potatoes cool slightly before you proceed with your filling as warm filling will make it more difficult to work with pastry.
- If you have time, chill your trays with veggie sausage rolls for 20 minutes or so before baking to let them firm up a bit and prevent the filling from bursting out.
Calories: 167kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 112mg | Potassium: 172mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 2610IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 1mg