Double Chocolate Pavlova with Nutella Cream
Double Chocolate Pavlova with Nutella Cream is crispy on the outside & chewy in the middle. Filled with Nutella cream & chocolate sauce it's Pavlova heaven! Decorate with your favourite chocolates or leave as is for an impressive, make ahead dessert!
Servings 8 servings
Chocolate Meringue Base
- 4 large egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 200 g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice I used apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 tablespoon coco/cacao powder
- 250 ml whipping or double cream
- 2 tablespoon Nutella
- 50 ml whipping or double cream
- 60 g milk chocolate (chopped) or chocolate chips
- small box of Maltesers to decorate feel free to use any other chocolates
Chocolate Meringue Base
All ingredients should be at room temperature.
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
To make chocolate meringue base whisk egg whites with salt until you reach stiff peaks.
Gradually start adding the sugar (tablespoon at a time) whisking constantly. You should get thick and shiny meringue.
Add vinegar or lemon juice and whisk some more.
Last but not least add sieved coco powder and gently fold it into meringue with silicone spatula.
Prepare your baking tray by lining it with greaseproof paper and drawing a circle (roughly 21cm/8inches in diameter). Spoon your meringue mixture onto it and smooth it out.
Put your meringue in the oven and immediately lower temperature to 150°C/300F/Gas Mark 2. Bake for 1hr, turn the oven off and let it cool for few hours or even overnight.
Put cream in a small saucepan and bring almost to boil.
Take it off the heat and add chopped chocolate/ chocolate chips.
Mix gently until you get smooth chocolatey sauce.
Set it aside to cool and thicken a bit.
- Nutritional information is approximate, per serving and should be treated as guideline only.
- It's best to let your meringue cool down in the oven for a few hours or preferably overnight.
Best consumed as soon as assembled however it can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days! The meringue consistency will get slightly chewier, the longer it's stored.
- Make sure that all the ingredients used to make the meringue base are at room temperature!
- To ensure that your egg whites play ball and beat up to stiff peak consistency, make sure that all the equipment you are using is squeaky clean as any leftover residual grease in a bowl or on your whisk might prevent that from happening!
- Do not add sugar until the egg whites have had a good start and you can see stiff peaks forming. That's when you gradually start adding sugar a spoonful at a time and keep mixing until you get to stiff and glossy peaks consistency!
- You know your meringue is good when it's crisp on the outside and dense and chewy on the inside. Addition of vinegar or lemon juice should help to achieve this result.
- Be careful when beating/whipping the cream! It is so easy to overbeat double cream and make Nutella butter. Only seconds can make huge difference between lovely thick cream and butter so keep your eyes peeled!
Calories: 347kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 49mg | Potassium: 106mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 35g | Vitamin A: 570IU | Vitamin C: 0.4mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 0.6mg