Vegan Chilli Sin Carne
Vegan Chilli Sin Carne is packed full of fresh veggies & variety of tinned beans and lentils to create easy & wholesome meal in just over 30 minutes. Bursting full of flavour and really nutritious, what else to ask for?
Servings 4 generous servings
- 1 large onion peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and finely chopped, minced or grated
- 1 red pepper deseeded and roughly chopped into chunks
- 1 courgette (zucchini) washed and coarsely grated
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 veggie stock cube + 200 ml freshly boiled water
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dark, unsweetened cacao or cocoa powder optional
- 2 tablespoon rapeseed or olive oil
- 1 400g tin green lentils drained and rinsed
- 1 400g tin black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 400g tin mixed beans (or kidney beans) drained and rinsed
- 1 340g tin sweetcorn see notes
- small bunch fresh coriander (cilantro) chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
Heat up 2 tablespoons of oil in a large lidded pan and fry chopped onions until softened but not coloured approx 5 min.
Add chopped pepper and grated courgette (zucchini) and continue frying for another 5 minutes until vegetables soften quite substantially.
Add chopped/minced garlic and all dried herbs and spices (with the exception of cacao/cocoa powder) and fry for a couple of minutes until nice and fragrant.
Add chopped tomatoes and rinse the tin with a little bit of water and add that too.
Crumble in your veggie stock cube and pour in 200ml freshly boiled water. Mix well and bring to boil.
Add drained and rinsed beans and lentils, mix well, cover and let it simmer for approx 5 minutes.
Add teaspoon of cacao or cocoa powder (if using) and follow with sweetcorn.
Cover and let the chilli simmer for approx 5 minutes after which time take the lid off and let it simmer (covered) and reduce slightly for another 5 minutes or so.
Taste and season with salt and pepper to your taste and garnish with chopped coriander (cilantro).
Plate up and serve with a side of brown rice, tortilla chips and your favourite sides/garnishes!
- Nutritional information is approximate, per serving and without sides & garnishes and should be treated as a guideline only.
- Cacao/cocoa powder can be left out completely or substituted with a square of good quality dark chocolate.
- Chilli powder in the US is much less potent than the one used in the UK so adjust quantities according to your taste and type of powder you're using.
- Tinned sweetcorn can be substituted with frozen which can be added at the same time and cooked until defrosted/warmed through.
- Freezer friendly.
Calories: 411kcal | Carbohydrates: 65g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 335mg | Potassium: 1307mg | Fiber: 20g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 1642IU | Vitamin C: 64mg | Calcium: 138mg | Iron: 9mg