Easy Lamb Kofta Meatballs
Easy Lamb Kofta Meatballs are quick to make and bursting full of Middle Eastern flavours. These delicious, oven baked meatballs are popular with kids and adults alike and perfect as midweek family dinner, appetiser or part of bigger spread. Try them with some flat breads and your favourite accompaniments. Super easy, super versatile!
Servings 4 servings
- 500 g minced lamb
- 1 onion finely chopped or grated
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped or minced/grated
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1-2 tablespoon fresh mint chopped
- 1-2 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- ½ lemon (zest & juice)
- 1 tablespoon olive/rapeseed oil
- salt, pepper as per your liking
Put minced lamb into a large bowl and add finely chopped onion, garlic, spices, salt (I go with 2 teaspoon of sea salt flakes), some freshly ground pepper, fresh herbs and lemon zest and juice.
Mix well with your hand until all ingredients are well incorporated.
If you have time cover your meat and pop it in the fridge for half an hour or as long as you can to let the flavours develop and mingle. If you are short on time simply proceed to the next step.
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
Divide the meat into four quarters and make 5 similar size meatballs out of each quarter. Put them onto the baking tray lined with baking parchment.
Heat up tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and fry the meatballs in two batches for couple of minutes to sear/brown them and pop them back onto lined baking tray. (see notes)
Bake in preheated oven for approx. 15 minutes.
Take them out onto the plate lined with paper towel to soak up the fat.
Serve in flatbreads with your favourite sauces and other accompaniments.
- Nutritional information is approximate and should be treated as a guideline only.
- You can skip searing/browning meatballs in a pan and pop them straight into the preheated oven. In such case I would spray them gently with some olive oil and increase baking time to 20 minutes. Alternatively, you can pan fry them without baking in the oven and they will take anything between 8-10 minutes. Make sure you watch them and turn regularly so that they are evenly cooked all over.
Calories: 403kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 77mg | Potassium: 346mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 110IU | Vitamin C: 3.8mg | Calcium: 45mg | Iron: 2.9mg