Chocolate Shortbread Cookies with Mini Eggs
These quick, easy, fun and delicious Chocolate Shortbread Cookies with Mini Eggs are perfect for making with your little ones around Easter! Gorgeous, buttery texture of traditional shortbread with added chocolate fix. Oh, and have I mentioned Mini Eggs?
Servings 23 biscuits
- 125 g unsalted butter cubed and at room temperature
- 125 g plain flour
- 50 g cornflour
- 50 g vanilla sugar or caster sugar
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 90g bag of Mini Eggs
Put butter, sugar, both flours and cocoa in a bowl of your food processor and mix together until mixture starts resembling sand and then slowly turns into pliable dough. If you don't have food processor simply use your fingers and rub the butter and dried ingredients together until you get to sandy texture and then use your entire hand to squash the dough together until it's pliable. Shape it into a disc.
Place your dough in between two pieces of greaseproof paper sprinkled with flour and roll it out until you are happy with the thickness about 4-5 mm thick. Pop your rolled out dough into the freezer for about 10 min to firm up.
Preheat the oven to 170C/340F/Gas Mark 3. Put Mini Eggs in the plastic bag and bash with a rolling pin.
Take your chilled dough out of the freezer and sprinkle crushed Mini Eggs all over it pressing down gently with your hand.
Cut out first round of shapes with the cutter of your choice. You might have to use quite a bit of strength if one of the egg pieces gets in the way of the cutter. The first batch will have very prominent pieces of Mini Eggs showing.
Re-roll the dough and cut out more shapes. The batch from re-rolled dough will have less prominent pieces of Mini Eggs which can still be tasted when bitten into.
Place on baking trays in preheated oven and bake for approx 20 min. Make sure you keep an eye on them from 15 min onwards to prevent them from burning. They should be just firm to the touch.
Remove from the oven and let them breathe for couple of minutes before transferring to cooling rack to cool down completely.
- Nutritional information is approximate and should be treated as a guideline only
- If you’d rather go for more subtle version of the biscuits with Mini Eggs more incorporated into the dough simply add your bashed Mini Eggs to the food processor before you take the dough out and pulsate it few times to combine.
- When making these by hand make sure you bash the Mini Eggs really well and then incorporate them into the dough before the initial roll out.
- Check out this post for details on how to make your own vanilla sugar
- Store in airtight container for 7-10 days. Freezer friendly.
Serving: 0g | Calories: 96kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 12mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 135IU | Calcium: 3mg | Iron: 0.3mg