Vegan Sausage Rolls
These quick & easy vegan sausage rolls are my take on famous Greggs vegan sausage rolls (but better)! Super versatile, they make perfect snack, party & buffet food, lunchbox offering or even dinner! To top it all off, they are healthier too!
Servings 24 mini sausage rolls
- 8 vegan sausages (1 pack) I use Richmond Meat-Free (UK)
- 1 400g tin cannellini beans drained, rinsed and pureed or mashed with a fork
- 1 celery stalk finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced or finely chopped
- 30 g sage and onion stuffing mix see notes
- 2 tablespoon cold pressed rapeseed oil or olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- freshly ground pepper
- 320 g ready rolled puff pastry sheet make sure it's vegan; frozen pastry should be defrosted
Heat up some oil in a non-stick frying pan and sauté chopped onions, celery and garlic until nice and soft but not too coloured. Set aside to cool slightly.
Peel the skin off the sausages and put them in a large bowl.
Preheat the oven to 190C(fan)/375F/Gas Mark 5.
To the bowl with sausages add pureed beans, sage and onion stuffing mixture and sautéed veggies.
Season with salt and pepper and give it all a good mix until well combined.
To assemble, roll out your puff pastry sheet and cut it in half lengthwise.
Divide sausage filling mixture into two and place it in the middle of each rectangle forming two long sausage like shapes.
Roll one side of each pastry rectangle over the filling following up with other side making sure that it is overlapping nicely and completely encasing the filling.
Place both long sausage rolls seam side down and cut into 12 mini sausage rolls each.
Place them onto prepared baking sheet (lined with baking paper if not quite non-stick), score them gently with a knife if you want to and brush over some plant based milk. Feel free to sprinkle some sesame or poppy seeds.
Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes until your sausage rolls are nice and brown. If your oven is anything like mine you will want to turn baking tray around half way through to ensure even baking.
Once done, let them cool slightly and enjoy!
- Nutritional information is approximate, per serving based on 24 servings and should be treated as a rough guideline only.
- Butter beans or chickpeas will also work in place of cannellini.
- Sage and onion stuffing mix can be substituted with some regular or panko breadcrumbs with added teaspoon of onion powder and ½ teaspoon of dried sage.
- Leftovers can be stored in the airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freezer friendly. See - Freezing for details.
- Take puff pastry out of the fridge 15-20 minutes in advance to make it easier to unroll without cracking.
- On related note, don't leave it out of the fridge for much longer than that as it will get sticky and more difficult to work with as it warms up.
- Don't forget to peel the skin off your vegan sausages.
- Feel free to make bigger sausage rolls than my mini, bite-size ones. You can also make them even more Greggs like by cutting lattice on your pastry.
- You might like sprinkling some sesame or poppy seeds over your pastry after you brush it with some plant milk for that extra touch.
Calories: 149kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 302mg | Potassium: 50mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 11mg | Iron: 7mg