My kids are absolutely obsessed with sausage rolls! Let’s be honest, as yummy as they are (and they are), they are not particularly healthy. I have been making sausage rolls for years using really good quality sausages to feed my boys’ habit but recently I’ve decided to try and make them that little bit healthier. That’s how my Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Turkey Rolls were born!
I really like turkey and considering its huge health benefits I decided to go for turkey mince instead of sausage meat. Adding some flavour boosters like sun-dried tomatoes and basil made them taste really rather nice although a bit on a dry side. Then I’ve decided to give in and add a bit of smokey bacon which have made all the difference. My turkey rolls are really scrumptious yet leaner and got big thumbs up from my boys (big and small).
I went for a bit of a classic tomato basil combo in this recipe but feel free to change the herbs if you’d like. Another herb that would work quite nicely here is parsley. Usually, I get 10 quite substantial rolls out of this recipe but feel free to cut them into smaller, bite-size pieces.
These delicious Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Turkey Rolls are so versatile! We tend to take them to picnics a lot in the Summer. They are also perfect as a quick mid-week supper when we are really busy. They are oh so tasty with some baked beans and freshly steamed veg on the side. After school snack, little nibble with beer in the garden when friends are round? You name it!
They are also a perfect little treat to celebrate National Picnic Week which starts today! Enjoy!
Sun Dried Tomato and Basil Turkey Rolls
- 450 g minced turkey
- 70 g smoked bacon pieces lardons, or you can use pancetta
- 6 sun dried tomatoes in oil drained
- 1 garlic clove
- small bunch fresh basil leaves chopped roughly, or use parsley instead
- 375 g pack ready rolled puff pastry sheet
- 1 egg beaten
- sesame seeds optional, salt pepper
- Put bacon, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic and basil with good amount of salt and pepper in a food processor and blend them to a paste.
- Put turkey mince in a bowl, add the paste and mix well.
- Roll out the pastry and cut it in half lengthwise.
- Divide turkey mixture in half and put each half along the middle of each pastry piece.
- Fold the pastry over the meat from both sided to create a roll.
- Put each roll down making sure the seam is at the bottom.
- Cut into desired sizes and place on a baking tray.
- Brush each roll with beaten egg, sprinkle some sesame seeds (if using) and bake in 180C for 20 minutes until golden brown.
Pin For Later
I’m linking my Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Turkey Rolls with the following pages:
Cook Once Eat Twice hosted by Corina at Searching for Spice
Brilliant Blog Posts hosted by Vicki at Honest Mum Blog
Treat Petite hosted by Kat at The Baking Explorer